Monday, May 13, 2013

bone


I love carved bone, from the beautiful smooth beads at the top of this page to the intricately carved pineapples just above. The pineapple is very special to me because my dad worked for Dole Pineapple many of the years while I was growing up. He always provided the free pineapples for our class luaus. In the East, beyond the Mississippi, pineapples are a symbol of hospitality. There is the issue as to whether any of this ivory is prohibited or not. I got all these pieces at the Salvation Army on Sutro St. I despise the killing of wild animals in Africa and else where around the world for the sheer vanity of man. But once a thing ends up in a thrift store someone has to take responsibility for it. I choose to be the curator of these bones.

No comments:

Post a Comment