Thursday, August 8, 2013

Wearing your collection


I think Elizabeth Taylor wore jewelry to perfection. She didn't seem like a particularly happy person, and I think her jewels were her friends, always beautiful and always there for her. Her entire collection was sold at Christies back in 2011 and brought in much more than expected. Part of the proceeds went to her AIDS Foundation. I remember when her book, My Love Affair with Jewels, came out, sitting in a chair at Borders and looking at every page. Even then I thought it was too expensive, but now it's out of print, and I wish I would have bought a copy. As a celebrity Liz had ample opportunity to wear items from her collection. For those of us without such busy social calendars, we ask, when shall we wear our gems? My answer is "around the house." But this does lead to the question: when is a colletion too large? A good curator chooses the best and gives away the rest. A collection need focus. Liz specialized in major gems. I like mid-century designs and old tourist jewelry from around the world. Should I cull my collection?

No comments:

Post a Comment