Thursday, March 7, 2013

white bone



This is a lovely little choker where a single horn of a small ungulate has been sliced in half and polished to make perfect matched sides of a necklace centered by a white bone bead. I'm of two  minds about having this piece since so many small deer have gone extinct. I got it from the famous Sutro St. Salvation Army and love its elegant simplicity, but I'm not sure I'd buy it today because of the environmental implications. However since I have it, I try to treasure and take care of it. I like to wear it with the carved faced earring above because those faces are so gentle and seem like guardian spirits to the little endangered creature below. I love white bone. It is such a soft organic material. I just wish I could know that my bone pieces are from domesticated sources. Bone is one of the most ancient materials for human ornamentation. I like to wear bone because of that connection to the ancient past. Everything in the world is so speeded up and modern that bone seems like a way to imagine our ancestors and live a little more gently on the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment