Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Almanor Art Show


These are three little works of art that I got at the Almanor Art Show sponsored every August by Plumas Arts in Chester, Plumas County. I'm sorry to say I only know the name of the most established jeweler, the one who made the large bead, but I'm not going to mention it in fairness to the other two artists and because he's a grumpy grump pants. His skills as a jeweler are unquestioned, but I find his work for the most part insipid.

On the other hand one wishes the two other artists here had more to work with. The young woman has a purity of focus. For several years now she has used the simplest of materials to work with texture on circles. Much of her work is done in copper. And she likes splashes of color here and there like the succulent green pearl on the piece I bought.

The ring was made by the loveliest young man from Mexico. I was charmed immediately when he admired my mid-century rings and said, "You just don't see that kind of workmanship anymore." Most of his work was cast silver all done by hand, but I fell in love with this little black pearl that swivils loose between two seed pearl anchors. It has an ancient simplicity which I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment