Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Venetian glass



I love glass that was made in Venice. This is a particularly nice piece, I think, because of the size and because all the white in it looks like snowflakes. This kind of glass is made with individual long canes of glass. In this case the canes are very fine. I had a friend whose daughter had a pendant like this which she had received as a gift when she visited Venice. It fell out of its setting and smashed into almost a million pieces. My friend collected all the pieces and using a magnifying glass glued the whole pendant back together so that you couldn't tell it had ever broken! I swear this is a true story. I would think her daughter would value that pendant now even more than she did before because it has so much of her mother in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment