Wednesday, February 13, 2013

seascape


Most dolphins I find to be utter kitch, but this design is something I would reproduce if I were any type of artist. It's lines are so simple, and it's not "cute" in the '70's dolphin fad way. I found it all banged up in a thrift store and was determined to restore it in some way. I glazed it with gold paint and put a layer of lacquer over that. It will never be perfect but I feel like I preserved the design. I think it was originally a bolo tie clip if you can believe it. I turned it into a pendant.




Being from Hawaii, I love anything with an ocean theme. Above are a few of my sea motif pieces. I think ocean themes are translated very well into enameled work or matt gold finish. I love the enameled shell above which is vintage, and I just happened to have a chain that fit it, and the enameled starfish is a ring straight from China which I think is lovely. The sea horses and other things are mostly vintage and just seemed to fit into this seascape.

No comments:

Post a Comment