Monday, February 4, 2013

fun fakes


Lapis and enamel right? This looks really good with a collared shirt. You put the pendant around your neck and the beads under the collar so that both show and emphasize the other. Only, you guessed it, the lapis pendant is a fake and so are the enameled beads. The beads are just painted to look like true enamel work which requires that little strips of silver wire are intricately formed on the plain bead and then powdered color poured into each space in the wire and then the whole thing put in a kiln to melt and harden. In these beads silver paint is used to outline all the design work. Quite a little trick in itself. The pendant is some other material that I forget the name of, but I've seen it in rings as well. I think it's dyed. Still the design of these fakes is so nice that no one ever questions whether or not they are what they appear to be. The thing is you want to know these fakes are out there so you don't end up paying too much. Still I never hesitate to buy a fake if I like it. Sometimes I think man made materials are the most precious in the universe, man being so rare a creature in the big picture. I mean what really is more rare, a diamond (Saturn's rings are made of them) or a cubic zirconium?



No comments:

Post a Comment