Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Antler bracelet




This amazing bracelet was made for the tourist trade I think by one of the North Eastern Tribes. Why I think this is just a gut feeling. Anyone in the world could prove me wrong. But anyway it's all carved on an antler and linked together by heavy links which suggests the artist was using available materials not special jewelry ivory and jump rings. I love the way each scene is cut into the natural brown window of the exterior of the antler and carved into the ivory beneath. I also like that these bracelets could be made from leftovers after a hunt or found pieces lying in the woods. It is such a treat to find something so rare at the Sutro St. Salvation Army for only a few dollars. I'm awed by the workmanship/workwomanship put into what strangers would consider cheap trinkets. Tourist trade art is just so under appreciated. I buy it whenever I find it abandoned. To my mind the carver of this piece is every bit the artist of something you'd find in a museum. I'm sorry that my best photos don't do it justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment