Sunday, January 13, 2013


This is another one of my sister's designs. I call it my memorial set. I like to wear it on the anniversaries of the death days of people I loved and on All Saint's Day and on other days when the past truly seems close to me.

The Victorians had their own mourning jewelry, usually onyx inset with pearls or small diamonds. I have a few pieces that I'll try to gather up and put up on this site. Frankly I love that black jewelry. It seems like just the right thing when grief has swept up your life and carried into some unfamiliar territory that you can't feel at home in but neither can you leave. Only time eases grief and not the severity of it just the frequency of its episodes. And in the mean time you've got to wear something. Your diamonds and black jewelry on somber purples and greys and of course your basic black says to the world: treat me with kid gloves, tlc, or at least a little distance. I'm not one of your kind right now. And may never be again.

No comments:

Post a Comment