Saturday, January 26, 2013

kitties and fish part two

Caroline Walters, Textile student at California College of the Arts says:

"The original necklace was a bit cluttered, and to fully show off the charms, I put it on a new chain and made it two tiered. I think this made it more modern, while still keeping the original spirit of the necklace."

Adding a new chain was a brilliant idea since part of the problem with the original was that I thought the old one might break at any time. One never feels confidant in a piece of jewelry with a weakness. The charms are more mindfully organized on this new version as well.

Caroline immediately accepted this "Project Runway" assignment. She loves crafts of almost any sort and is wearing a  sweater tank she knitted herself. I'm proud to say I introduced Caroline to knitting, but she has far surpassed me now.

Caroline has an Etsy store called FawnsLove.etsy.com where she sells knitted goods and other hand made accessories.

The way Caroline fixed this piece for me reminds me a lot of the way the artists handled their materials at the Renegade Craft Fair this year in San Francisco. Especially the work of local California artist Isobell.etsy.com from whom I bought a wonderful sweater chain with cats. I don't wear little '50's sweaters much, but the chain looks great on peter pan necklines. Check out etsy for bespoke items of all kinds.

No comments:

Post a Comment