Thursday, January 10, 2013

blue bracelets


Why wear one or two if eight or nine will do? Blue bracelets look wonderful by the armload. My collection makes me think of Egyptian tombs, and I often wear these with big blue rings and a turquoise and silver cuff necklace I have with matching earrings. This get up makes me feel like a walking relic.

Before I became friends with Shirley Powell she nearly scared me to death by grabbing my arm on Main St. in Quincy and saying, "How much you want for these bracelets?"

Later when we knew each other we realized we has the same kind of aesthetic. She was more daring than I, but boy I tried hard to match her. Just recently one of my friends mentioned that I have such great confidence about the way I look. She didn't say I look good, just that I have great confidence that I look good. I learned this from Shirley. It just so happen she was black and everyone else in town knew her as "Black Cheryl."

She's moved to Chico now, and I miss her a lot. But she's doing well so that's the main thing. You don't get to meet very many black friends in Quincy, and I bonded with Shirley Powell over jewelry.

No comments:

Post a Comment