Thursday, January 3, 2013

I bought this when I turned 37 or 38 and was really broke. I had the idea that this would be the only piece of jewelry I'd ever wear. I still think that if I were limited to one piece this might be the one I'd choose. It reminds me of Jane Austen for one thing and has a nice large scale. It can dress up or dress down. In fact I've worn it mostly with jeans and a turtle neck with my hair up in a knot on my head, casually. But I think it would look good on a nice black cocktail dress as well. It's just so different.

I have a huge collection of cameos and will be showing you others from time to time, but this is my favorite. She's just so beautiful and makes such a great statement.

I could afford her because I saved and because she's unsigned and has a few flaws on her surface. Some of her hair is starting to rub off from wear and there is a small crack near her gold setting. But as you continue to read this blog you will find that I have a "shabby chic" aesthetic. I could never afford perfection and doubt most ordinary collectors can so you learn to love the little flaws that make the pieces yours and that give them a real sense of history.

Cameos are kind of out of style these days, but they always return. I started collecting them when my son asked me to after he read about Anne Rice having a collection of cameos in a large frame in one of her fabulous fiction houses. I think I have just about enough to frame for him. But this lady stays with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment