Friday, January 18, 2013

Jade



The search for old, undyed jade tends to lead  you to creepy old antique stores where the bartering is tough because the proprietor hasn't seen a breathing customer in, oh, about a hundred years. I have to admit the ring came from Mr. Ivan Coffman at a very good price. But the other pieces...oh I had to struggle with them. I visited them often and tried to make friends with the shop owner. I waited literally years before I was sure the price I was being quoted was the best it was going to get. I'm not one of those people who likes to down right steal from a dealer. I understand how hard it is to stock a store and make any of it pay. But if I'm buying a set I like to get 10%. But falling in love is falling in love so I paid the full price which really wasn't that bad. I just really like jade. I've heard it said that buying jade for yourself is really bad luck and maybe that's what I can blame all my problems in life on, but I swear wearing jade is worth it. It's subtle and subdued and goes really well with white pearls. And this is really important: jade ages with you. What is more beautiful besides an ancient lady in flowers is an ancient lady in jade?              

No comments:

Post a Comment