Friday, January 11, 2013

For a while living with my sister, Cary, was like living with Faberge himself. She turned out new pieces of jewelry everyday. Only instead of starting with precious metals and stones, she spun flax into gold. She took clay, the humble material of the earth, and made it literally gold and other vivid colors as well.

Here is a simple heart pendant strung on a matching shiny ribbon. Because it's chartreuse it goes with everything. This is such a minor example of her work that I'm ashamed to introduce you to her magic with such a modest piece, but I just wasn't feeling up to trying to capture her really complex pieces with my little camera. I have to be feeling really ambitious to try that.

Cary has made jewelry out of many materials besides clay. But I think her clay things are my favorite. How often do you know someone who can turn dirt into jewels?

No comments:

Post a Comment